[3830] CQWW CW W8AV M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8av@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W8AV M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:22:04 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): K3JT, K4LT, AF8A, N8IW, W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   58    15       56
   80:  380    26      101
   40:  478    35      120
   20: 1080    38      136
   15:  200    25       96
   10:   31    13       30
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Due to other comittments, we had a small crew this year.  But the five of us had
great fun despite being at the bottom of the sunspot cycle.

Propagation on 80 and 160 were much better than normal.  This is the first year
that we hit the 100 country plateau on 80 meters.  Propagation on 40 meters was
pretty good to EU and parts of Asia before our sunset and then was average
during the night.  20 was the workhorse with very high rates during both days
and we spent most of the daylight hours CQing there.  15 and 10 were typical for
the bottom of the cycle, although we did have a two hour opening to EU on 15
during Day Two.

Murphy decided to make one of his rare visits to the station this year.  We
discovered that the isolation coil for the 20 meter stack was shorted about
three hours before the contest.  This isolation coil is one of two at the base
of the 160 vertical to keep the feedlines for the 20 and 40 antennas on this
tower from shorting out the quarter-wave base insulated 160 vertical.  In
addition, the power supply that powers all of the stacking circuitry and the
switching for the 80 meter triangle array decided to consume its power
transformer and all of the regulators in the middle of the first night of the
contest.  It took about three hours to repair this supply with a new regulators
and a temporary transformer until an early morning trip to Radio Shack could be
made to obtain the proper replacement.

Other than the above problems, the station behaved pretty much normally.  Thanks
to everyone for all the Q's and the mults.

73..............de Goose, W8AV