[3830] ARRL 160 N5TW(KE5C) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke5c@hot.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N5TW(KE5C) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:17:21 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): KE5C
Station: N5TW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 1032  Sections = 76  Countries = 6  Total Score = 175,152

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to N5TW for letting me enjoy this event at his contest station.  This
station is capable of much more than I am able to extract from it.  The 87A fan
quit early during the 0900 hour of the first day causing the amp to go off-line.
 A special thanks goes to K5AB who loaned an Al-1200 and to K5TR who
simultaneously drove over an hour to bring a Ten-Tec Centurion for day two.
Congratulations to those who voluntarily choose low power and QRP!  Many CTDXCC
members participated and were worked including AA5BT, AB5K, AC5AA, AD0K, K5AB,
K5NA, K5WA, KI5DR, KS5V, KV5V, N2LA, N3BB, N5AW, N5XJ, NZ5A, W5AHC, W5SL, W5TA,
W5VX, W5ZL, and W9BF.

The atmospheric QRN built steadily starting early the second night and was 20
over on the vertical and S7-9 on the beverages.  Thank you to all who spent
minutes completing QSO?s the second night through this noise, and I?m sorry
VO1MP, but I just couldn?t hear the M although a few folks tried to relay that
to me.  The operator generated QRN and QRM reported by others were challenging
at times.

STATION:

Antennas:  The transmit antenna is a 4-square made from inverted-L?s with 55
foot verticals suspended from the 40 meter tower.  A relay box with a matching
network optionally drives each vertical in phase for an omni pattern for
contests.  The antenna has 5 miles of ground radials covering nearly 3 acres.
The receive antennas are four 700 foot long 2-way beverages.  The beverage
controller allows ganging the NW beverage with any other selection.  This is
done to splay the pattern across North America during contests and to listen NE
and SW simultaneously in the mornings.

Rig:  Ten-Tec Orion

Amp:  87A (until 0900 day one), AL-1200 (day two)

 HOUR 160CW  TOTAL ACCUM
 ---- ------  ----- -----
 22   22   22   22
 23   73   73   95