[3830] CQWW CW 3DA0NW(K9NW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 3DA0NW(K9NW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:53:33 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 3DA0NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: 3DA0NW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Swaziland
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   11     8        8
   80:   56    16       35
   40:  556    28       82
   20: 1083    34      114
   15: 2475    33      115
   10:  331    14       53
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Icom IC-765
Icom IC-2KL
10/15/20: Cushcraft A4S @ 50'
40: 4 el Sloper array
80/160: 60' Vertical

A most interesting contesting adventure!  As is usually the case with me, this
operation came together in relatively short order.

It was strange starting a contest at 2AM.  I wasn't able to get the good sleep
beforehand that I was counting on so I started off tired right away but kept
plugging on.  However, I was fast asleep within 15 minutes of the final bell!

Low band QRN really did me in this time and the 80/160 numbers bear that out.
Didn't make any effort at any kind of RX antenna and in hindsight kind of wish I
had done so.  I've operated numerous times from the Caribbean and have always
been able to work through the QRN with reasonable results with no special RX
ANT.  The QRN in southern Africa was an entirely different beast at least a
magnitude or two higher than anything I've experienced.

On the other hand, there were no storms (lightning) in the immediate area during
the contest (they were nearby...) and no power outages....both of which had
occurred most days leading up to the event, so I was able to be QRV for the
duration.  High bands played quite well, even 10M to some extent, particularly
N/S path to EU.  Pretty wild pileups at times.

Special thanks to ZS6JR and ZS6WPX for all their help in making it happen!

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW / 3DA0NW