[3830] ARRL 10 KY1V M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dave@kopacz.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KY1V M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:28:12 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KY1V
Operator(s): KY1V K3UD WM4R N4VUS
Station: KY1V

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Hopkinsville KY
Operating Time (hrs): 32

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  894   138  Total Score = 353,224

Club:

Comments:

Nothing went quite as planned.

I decided to call a few local hams to find, put up a new antenna and operate
multi-op. The local hams I called weren't too enthusiastic, but said they might
come by.

My wife and I built an M2 10M7 on Tuesday and Wednesday afternon. We were ready
to put it up, then came the freezing rain and cold weather. The motor on the
tower wouldn't work and I couldn't bring down the tower. The M2 10M7 on a 44 ft
boom lay fully assembled in the driveway and I was forced to use the 4el SteppIR
at 67 feet. It's a bit too high for 10 meters, but it would have to do.

I started the contest as Single Op CW HP. The band was poor on Friday night,
then there was a late opening to the east coast and the signals on SSB started
popping up by the hundreds on the band scope. I switched to mixed mode. Things
were going well.

The next day, some local hams showed up, so I changed from single op to multi. I
wish I had known for certain they were coming, I would have used the cluster
Friday night for multipliers. Oh well. Here they were and they wanted to
operate.

It was pretty interesting. None of these guys do much contesting and to top it
off, they had to learn how to use the IC-7800, the steppIR, the software,  and
the Acom 2000A. Needless to say, these guys were a bit overwhelmed, but they
jumped right in and did a great job!

It was humorous to watch them start by logging on paper. They adjusted quickly
and got the logging software down pat. I hope to get these guys involved in
contesting more often, even at the expense of losing Q's. I really enjoy
multi-op efforts over single op. It would be nice to form a small local
contesting club here in SW KY.

Overall, we did pretty well. There were some great openings and signals were
sometimes 40/9. Only worked one European, a half dozen Africans and a few from
the Pacific. Nothing heard from Japan.

During the contest, I had some great QSO's on CW with W9WI and on SSB with WX3B
and W9Zo. Thanks for the company guys! Doug (W9WI) and I kept each other company
on CW late into the night. Thanks Doug!

Next year, look for me from 6Y1V with 7 over 7 on a rotating tower!

Thanks to everyone who's in the log! For those that tried and I couldn't hear
you, I apologize. Perhaps next year!

73,

David ~ KY1V