[3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7bg@qsl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:11:09 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 21

   CW:  395    64
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  395    64  Total Score = 101,120

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

It really is amazing what this "dead" band will render. In between putting up
Christmas lights and missing an hour here and there I tried to give it my best
shot.

Last night as I was tuning up and down the band listening to mostly noise and
heard some weak sigs from 4-land. In about an hour and a half I managed 5
contacts with stations in VA and NC. I don't know what prop mode this was but it
almost seemed like double hop scatter if there is such a thing. Anyway, it was
interesting so late at night. I know it's not unusual to get the single hop
scatter late at night, but I don't recall hearing 4's on scatter that late at
night before.

I got up this morning and the band was extremely poor. About all I was hearing
was VP5D and backscatter stations that I had already worked. I went to church at
10:30 and when I got back at 12:30 the band was hopping pretty well. The strong
stations died out after an hour or two, but still some east coast was coming
through albeit with suppressed signal levels. I was actually copying them better
at one point with the antenna to the southwest! Prop had switched to backscatter
from direct path. The same thing happened yesterday, but with a little different
flavor. This band is crazy! I don't know what I missed between 10:30 and 12:30
this morning (Sunday).

I had an FM and an FO call me so that was a surprise. Also had an HP call me
today, but we worked yesterday so he duped me-HI. I ended up working 43 states,
a lot of them on scatter.

There was a great Es opening the last hour and a half. Mostly to 9 and 5 land.
It is still going on by the sound of 11 meters (used as prop indicator). Too bad
it wasn't a day earlier!

Funniest part of the contest was when a scatter QSO told me to repeat cuz I was
weak. Now, that's an understatement! Everybody was weak all weekend except for a
couple good openings.

I am using a smattering of antennas.

Here's the list:

HyGain 105BAS fixed ESE at 65'
Force12 C3XL fixed SSE at 45'
HyGain 1015DB 3 ele rotatable at 88'
HyGain TH3 rotatable at 22'
11 meter 5/8 wave vertical

DX worked: ZL, VK, FO, FM, CP, HC, PY, LU, HP, XE, PJ2, TI, CX, C6