[3830] ARRL 10 VO1HE M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VO1HE M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:20:47 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: The Rock
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

   CW:   90    37
  SSB:  333    51
-------------------
Total:  423    88  Total Score = 90,288

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club - ECCCC

Comments:

Took a while for the band to open here but when it did, it seemed fine for this
time of the cycle. Never heard any Europe but managed several EA8 and a couple
African and South Atlantic contacts. Heard FR1AN really strong but couldn't
break the EU pileup. The band shifted from the East to the West quite quickly
and NA started booming in. Swung the beam and had a pipeline into Florida. I
seemed like 80% of my contacts were into FL but overall it was 14%. Never heard
them at all in the 160 test :) Got a nice run going but had to go out in the
afternoon so I missed the mid west/west coast opening.

Sunday started late again. Heard a few EA8s and Africa but no EU at all. Again,
the band switched to the west and NA was dominant. I found that certain areas
would peak at different times. I'd run a group of FL then it would be KY. Then a
another state would come up. It was interesting to see the propagation moving
around so suddenly. MN, WI, and OH were very prominent in my log until later in
the day when the west coast started to coming up. Then every other contact was
CA.

Got to work Ramon XE1KK. Met him last year when he was a part of the FP5/VE7SV
dxpedition. He's one enthusiastic operator!

I must echo Scott VE1OP's comments about the M/S class for single ops who use
the cluster. If the ARRL would adopt the Assisted category it would make things
easier.

Anyway, not a bad weekend. Worked a lot of stations not in the master file so I
think contesting is alive a growing. There were at least 6 VOs on so it
shouldn't have been too hard to get NF.

Thanks to all who heard me and sorry to those I didn't hear. On to the RAC
Winter contest. Keep a ear out for VO1RAC. That's a 20-pointer.

73 -- Paul VO1HE