[3830] TBDC AC6DD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac6dd@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC AC6DD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:06:11 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Total:  QSOs = 396  Total Score = 396

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

First time participating, and liked it much better than the ARRL test a few
weeks ago.  Does someone know why the 22:00 starting time in the ARRL test?

A Field Day style operation from inside a utility trailer on a pier.  Put up an
Inverted L, with 37' vertical and 100' sloping, matched with a UNUN I built the
night before.  It took a bit of cut and paste, but it worked.  Forgot a long
coax at home, but had shorter pieces with me and a few couplings.  The Dx
engineering small vertical array was used for receiving.  I just got it a few
days ago, and used it for the first time.  This receiving antenna made a
difference.  Comparing the ARRL test, my worst enemy - the 500 kV power line
noise, was not a major factor anymore.  Put the antennas up with duct tape and
mini bungee cords, didn't have much time, fixed a few things during the evening.
 Nice crowd, but I wish some people would QRS when asked.  Doing 35 WPM, while
just above the noise just does not help.
At about 2 or 3AM SWR goes high and amp shuts down.  It appears the inverted L
wire broke from the coming storm.  As it turns out later, this was a lucky
moment. I get a bit wet, but as soon as I finish patching things, we get a
downpour. Meanwhile I am back inside, and back on the air. If the antenna broke
30 minutes later I would have to quit. It was pretty hard to copy from the rain
and wind pounding on the trailer roof.  Heavy static crashes from now on, I was
hoping at least no lightning strikes.
I had the computer clock set wrong, someone had to alert me the contest was
over.  So many variables while operating portable.  Dissassembled everything in
the rain.  I don't know how to compute the score, so I am posting the qso total.
  I think I used an old version of TR.  Too many stateside cq's in the dx
window.

Managed to work PJ2, KV4, P4, NP4, XE, KH6, KL7, ZL, VK3, VK6, JA, HL, BY.
Could not complete QSO with DU.

73,

Niko - AC6DD