[3830] TBDC K5ZD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K5ZD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:10:56 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 484  Total Score = 2,603

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

An interesting and entertaining contest as always!  I really enjoy having to
just do one night and the focus on working "DX" (however it is defined).

Activity seemed a bit better than last year.  Rate was good until I got into the
wee hours and everyone went to bed.  I slept from 09Z to 1130Z.

Didn't really get started seriously into the contest until 02Z.  Kept waiting
for the Europeans to come booming in and it never happened.  The loud guys
(ON4UN, UA2FF, and RK1AM) were always loud.  Everyone else was not (except for
some of the G stations).  Worked mostly Northern Eu.  The Southern Eu were weak
and had a fluttery sound.

Only DX I missed that I heard were XE1KK, NP4A, IV3PRK, and LZ9W.  I see from
the 3830 postings that there was plenty else that I missed.  No Africa or
Asia.

Band was very quiet although there was some static coming from the south.  My
line noise came and went, but was mostly low during the Eu openings, which was
nice.  Very few stations peaked at their sunrise.  Most were loudest about 2
hours prior to SR, then they would disappear as soon as their sun came up.

My best DX QSO was KH6/N6KB at 10 minutes after my sunrise.  Although with weak
signals and QSB, very possible that one of us messed up the calls or grids.  :(
Next best DX was several Ukraine stations.

Best USA signals were K9GY in the East (he was always loud!), K9DX in the
Central (still S9 at 1 hour after sunrise), and K7CA out West (he was over S9
most of the evening).

For a contest that is based on distance on a band where that is a hard thing to
do, I continue to be mystified at the incentive the scoring gives to going LP or
QRP!  I went HP and tried to be CQing as much as possible to give max visibility
to the low power guys.

I love the use of grids and distance scoring.  Although it was funny when I
worked TF3KX and someone in AZ back to back.  Both were worth 8 points.

Worked 82 Europeans.

Equipment:

FT1000D + Alpha 76CA
1/4-wave sloping GP for Europe
shunt fed 90' tower for everything else
busted Bev to NE that I used for 2 QSOs

QSOs by Point Value:
17 pts - 1
16 pts - 4
15 pts - 3
14 pts - 17
13 pts - 28
12 pts - 13
11 pts - 13
10 pts - 4
9 pts  - 41
8 pts  - 20
7 pts  - 15
6 pts  - 20
5 pts  - 21
1-4 pts - 284

(77 1-pointers is the flip side of being close to Europe)

Ratesheet:

QSO/ by hour and band

 Hour      160    Total     Cumm    OffTime

D1-2300Z   7/0     7/0       7/0      55
D2-0000Z  66/0    66/0      73/0       7
D2-0100Z    -      0/0      73/0      60
D2-0200Z  96/0    96/0     169/0       1
D2-0300Z  65/0    65/0     234/0
D2-0400Z  71/0    71/0     305/0
D2-0500Z  72/0    72/0     377/0
D2-0600Z  30/0    30/0     407/0
D2-0700Z   6/0     6/0     413/0      48
D2-0800Z  31/0    31/0     444/0
D2-0900Z   2/0     2/0     446/0      50
D2-1000Z    -      0/0     446/0      60
D2-1100Z  14/0    14/0     460/0      37
D2-1200Z  14/0    14/0     474/0
D2-1300Z  10/0    10/0     484/0      30

Total:   484/0