[3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:52:46 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 400  Total Score = 1,815

Club:

Comments:

I had the usual holiday social obligations that took me out of it for prime time
- 01Z-0430Z. After that, I had no guilty pangs about sleeping from 0830Z-12Z.
Really strange EU from here - Easily worked F5IN, F6IRA and ON4UN around 0430Z,
but every time I did a S&P sweep after that, they were virtually the only EU
stations I heard CQing, and they were like beacons until after their sunrise.
Only deeper EU heard was OK1RI - he came out of nowhere CQing on my CQ frequency
at his sunrise, was easily worked, then completely faded away - all in about 30
seconds. SM5EDX was an easy QSO during the only time I heard him, at his
sunrise. Heard a few other western EU stations doing S&P, but never CQing, and
they didn't answer my CQ's. Pacific condx were very poor - only 3 JA's, all big
guns. Only other Pacific QSO's were HL3IUA and VK6DXI (thanks for your patience
!).

One other interesting propagation note. Since I was going to miss "prime time",
I started very early, 2200Z, about 2 hours before sunset. Beginning around
2215Z, the east coast stations were quite strong and easily workable, while the
much closer mid-west stations remained weak and unworkable. Almost like a sunset
enhancement on the east coast - very strange with almost 2 hours of daylight
between here and there.

Why are some people not working dupes ?  There are so many opportunites for a
QSO to get hosed in the Stew. If they tell me I'm a dupe and won't work me, it
just means they are going to get a NIL, since it's not in my log !

With 10 more radials added last week, I think my 160 antenna is finally starting
to work. My EU answer success rate was 80%, instead of the usual 20%.

Worked many, many stations that weren't in my callsign database from last year's
log. Clearly, interest in the Stew Perry is growing !  Excellent !

My grid square, DM52, should win the plaque for the most activity for its
population. At least 4 stations were active (N2IC, N5IA, NA5NM, W5GZ) with a
total population of less than 100,000 people in the grid square.

73,
Steve, N2IC