[3830] RTTY Roundup K0HW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K0HW@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K0HW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:07:17 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K0HW
Operator(s): K0HW
Station: K0HW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: South Dakota
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
   80:  287
   40:  301
   20:  279
   15:   99
   10:    2
------------
Total:  968  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 29  Total Score = 81,312

Club:

Comments:

Another fun contest, they are all fun aren't they.  I really enjoy RTTY contests
because of Writelog.  I had 46 states, 9 provinces and 29 countries. I never got
DC, DE or ND. My beam is on the ground so that was one thing different than last
year.   I ran high power again this year and the Ameritron AL-1200 held up real
well and kept the shack warm.
I was gunning for a fast start and then to keep it going for the whole contest.
Between 13 and 15 min into the contest after the first 25 QSOs my computer froze
and then after 30 sec rebooted. I was then trying to switch to a slower but more
stable computer but it didn't come up seeing the ports so I stayed with the
computer I started with. I think it rebooted about 10 times during the contest.
I don't think I lost very many in process QSOs but there were a few stations
that wonder where I went. It would freeze up during transmit and while listening
and even while the rigs were off and I was away from the shack. I will have to
find out what is happening, first I will check it for a virus then maybe a
hardware problem. It sure let the air out of my balloon.
I finally ended up after about 23 hours with 968 valid QSOs and a total score of
81.3 K points I took about 4 1/2 hours off to sleep and another 2 1/2 to get
ready for and go to church this morning so I missed the DX while I was at
church, that is the norm for me on Sunday contests. Considering it was all using
a long wire antenna and a 80 meter dipole I probably did well. I tried a 40
meter dipole also but the long wire drew a lot more QSOs on 40.
After the last reboot at 2330 tonight I turned the amp to standby and forgot to
bring it back for the last 30 min on 80 meters. I wondered why things were so
slow!!! Right now I am BEAT!!!

ICOM 756 PROII, AEA PK-232, AMERITRON AL-1200, 360' Long Wire (about 30' high),
40 meter dipole, 80 meter dipole (both about 40' high).

73 Jim K0HW