[3830] NAQP CW KD0S Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kd0s@pie.midco.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KD0S Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:35:53 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KD0S
Operator(s): KD0S
Station: KD0S

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:  11      8
   80:  32     20
   40:  19     14
   20:   0      0
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  62     42  Total Score = 2,604

Club:

Team:

Comments:

It was a busy weekend for me, but for some unknown reason a little voice said
"try QRP". I usually find QRP akin to spending time in the dentists chair.
My first 11 minutes was spent calling cq on 40 meters and I was able to work
exactly 0 stations! That reminds me that I need to set an appointment to get my
tooth fixed.
Maybe QRP is not for me....

I started to hunt and pounce... or was it leap?
The first station to hear me was W8FJ on 40 then things really took off.
W5WMU moved me to 80 and actually heard me there. Back to 40, where after about
3 minutes of calling I worked VA1CHP.
K7ZSD heard me on 40, moved me to 80, then 160. I have got to find out what he
is running for antennas!
Thanks to the following for their patience:

K5BG: Spent a lot to time trying to copy me on 160. Bob probably could have made
10 or 15 Q's in the time it took to get my call and report. It took so long I
felt guilty for holding him up.
K5KG: Was very patient for the time it took to get my report on 80.
W4MYA: Worked fine on 80, but when I tried 40, thoughts of my dental appointment
came back. We finally did it though.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to work W6YX on 160. I dont think he even
heard a whisper from me. Then ZF2NT.... was loud on 80! I wasted a good 5
minutes calling him with no success.
I decided I needed to work someone closer that could hear me and W8EDU was the
next station I tried on 80. Another 3 minutes of calling. Nothing!
Moved on to K8MP... After a few calls, Joe picked up an S... I thought I would
be able to work him, but it wasnt meant to be.

I dont know how you qrp guys can do so well in the contests. Must be a lot of
skill and patience required. I have neither!
The best thing about this contest and qrp is that I had plenty of time to take
notes....
See you in the next one...
Jim KD0S