[3830] CQ160 CW N2CU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N2CU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:23:53 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1027  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 52  Total Score = 350,240

Club: WNYCC

Comments:

I knew this would be a challenge when my son's new PC was spewing S8 hash all
over the band; even when he moved it to the other side of the house. Gotta work
on that. My goal (as usual) was to do better than last year when I had only an
inverted vee at 46' and no receiving antennas. This year I had an inverted L and
K9AY loops. I beat last year's score by 60%. I won NY state last time but I'm
afraid it will come down to log checking as W2RU (congrats Bud) posted a score a
couple hundred points higher than mine. Should have tried working a few extra
guys! QSO and section totals are almost identical to last year but the country
total is way up (52 vs. 29). I guess the investment in the new antennas paid
off. Now I need to get down some more radials.

Conditions here in far-western NY were not real good into Europe Friday or
Saturday but the last two hours they improved greatly. Too bad I had rain static
because I know I missed several European callers. Special thanks to 5B4AIA who
didn't give up when I called. He stuck with me for several minutes until we
completed the QSO. Unlike some others who would get a partial call, ask for a
repeat once, and then continue CQ'ing. It was also pretty maddening to hear a
boatload of Europeans CQ'ing on the same frequencies as stateside guys doing the
same. Several times I just had to call on top of them to get the QSO. Sorry, but
that's the way propagation is on this band. Also, thanks for bearing with me as
I learn how best to use the K9AY loops. The F/B and F/S was so good at times, I
had to ask for repeats on calls so I could switch direction to copy them. I just
put the antenna up one week ago and I love it!

FT1000MP, Drake L7, inverted L (46'), K9AY loops, TR Log.

73,
Tom N2CU <><