[3830] CQ160 CW AB7E Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rimradio@direcway.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AB7E Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:42:44 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AB7E
Operator(s): AB7E
Station: AB7E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Arizona
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 326  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 9  Total Score = 50,654

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

I began the contest really tired and quickly decided I wasn't going to be able
to put in a full effort, so I ended up simply having fun.  Just as well ... the
east coast couldn't hear me until well late in the evening even though signals
were strong right from sunset.  I hit 60 minute rates of 80 per hour well after
local midnight but I was just too tired to take advantage of it.

One of the frustrating aspects of having a low noise QTH is that I could hear
far more DX than I could work with my rather low Inverted-V and 100 watts.  I
blew the 4CX-800A's in my amp during the Stew Perry when a mouse chewed through
one of the support lines of my antenna and I didn't notice the high SWR during a
run, so switching to high power was not an option.  NM7M claims that horizontal
polarization suffers by a full 9 db from my QTH to Europe compared with vertical
polarization, so it looks like I'll be putting up a vertical soon.  As it was,
12 hours of operation netted me a handful of JA's and all states except the two
I never heard (VT and ND), but the furthest east I got was EA8.  Biggest
disappointment was not being able to work BA4RF even though he had a nice signal
here in Arizona for almost a half hour.

Dave  AB7E
southern Arizona (DM41vi)