[3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:48:51 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:  145    59
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  145    59  Total Score = 25,665

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Local interest seemed to be down for this contest and I decided not to beat
myself up again with another 48 hours in the operating chair. So I decided to
take a break and do a single-band 160M effort and try to beat the existing W5
record, K5UR in 1985 with 19,902 points.

The first night had good conditions but bad QSB fading. It sometimes took a long
while to get a complete callsign and I spent the entire Friday night opening to
Europe doing S/P. It would usually take me 45 minutes to start at the bottom of
the band and slowly tune up to the top of the band and identify as many signals
as I could. Later, after European sunrise, I started CQing when the band was
open to Japan and worked 27 JAs and a few other goodies.

The second night didn't seem to be as good as the first, but I went into
Saturday night determined to try CQing during the European opening. I had a few
European multipliers call me as a result but sometimes it was a struggle to get
a call sign. After European sunrise, something happened to conditions and the
band went blank with no signals and lot's more noise. I only worked three more
DX stations (all South America) for the last 6 hours of the night (from 0743Z to
1330Z). And not a single JA station was heard the second night. It was a long
six hours of lonely CQing without any answers.

But overall the results made me happy. If the log checking holds up, I will have
the new W5 record.

73, Richard