[3830] ARRLDX CW W1ECT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1ECT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:54:29 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1ECT
Operator(s): W1ECT
Station: W1ECT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Etna, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   45    30
   80:  200    51
   40:  400    55
   20:  500    72
   15:  300    60
   10:   17     9
-------------------
Total: 1462   277  Total Score = 1,214,091

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Friday: At the start of the contest there wasn't much activity on 20m so I
started on 40m and after two hours had made ~150 QSOs.  Switched to 80m for
about an hour adding about 100 QSOs.  Finished on 160 - totals for day one: 265
QSOs, 97 multipliers, 3 1/2 hours.  Conditions seemed OK on all three bands.

Saturday: Got started at 1330z (830 AM) and there was a good 15m opening to
Europe in progress (unlike last week's RTTY WPX test where 15m didn't open
Saturday or Sunday).  Moved down the bands as the day went on, conditions were
decent and were the European signals were especially good on 80m. Totals after
day two: 1000 QSOs, 237 multipliers, 15 hours.

Sunday: Mirror image of Saturday...

I tried to have a bit more fun in this contest and avoid the stresses of trying
to keep the rate meter at the highest possible level.  For example this meant
switching from 40m Saturday evening when the QRM became oppressive even though I
had been maintaining a rate of 100+.  This also accounts for the a. retentive
QSO counts on 80m-15m - I had to hang on to; or over-stay my stints on these
bands to get these nice even numbers.

I wasn't completely successful avoiding stress - there was one time on 40m when
I was suddenly besieged by a pile-up of S0 signals. There were at least 5 or 6
stations and they just kept calling - none of them stood out enough from the
rest to even allow me to ask for a partial call to calm things down. Long pauses
didn't seem to help and each ? (or even a random guess at an SP?) just continued
the mess.  I felt like someone had just spotted me on the weak-signal-cluster!
Eventually some of the guys gave up and I managed to regain control...

I didn't work any exotic DX - the most pleasant surprises were getting calls on
40m from JE1ZWT at 2100z (4PM local) on Saturday and VK7GN at about the same
time on Sunday.

New for DXCC: Just one... IS0/K7QB (160)