[3830] ARRLDX CW NN3W(@N3HBX) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn3w@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NN3W(@N3HBX) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:56:33 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: N3HBX

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:   93    52
   80:  259    72
   40:  591    99
   20:  818   105
   15:  414    97
   10:   33    21
-------------------
Total: 2208   446  Total Score = 2,954,304

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First, my greatest appreciation to N3HBX for allowing me to take over his
Poolesville, MD, QTH for what was my first CW single op effort since 1991.
Thanks also to his son David who lives there for putting up with me.  Also,
thanks to John for being patient as, during this contest, I blew up an 8-kw
rated low pass filter (I was only running 1 kw at the time) and the circuit
which serves the lighting wiring for the radio shack and adjoining bathroom.
John, I'll try not to blow something up in the next one.

Now, as I said earlier, this was my first real single op effort since the 1991
ARRL DX CW contest when I won the Under 18 plaque.  I tripled my score since
1991, but feel as if I have a LOT of rust to chip away before I am truly
competitive on CW.  Scores from K3WW and KI1G prove that point.  I am up there
with them on mults but lagged WELL behind in Q count.  That must change and can
easily be done with practice.

Conditions were wonderful on the low bands and decent on 20; 15 was marginal and
10 was awful.  Certainly much worse than in CQWW in October and much worse than
ARRL SSB last year.

Since I'm not up fully back on line for CW, I apologize for all the repeat
requests, busted calls on the firt go around, and general slowness.  The lack of
familiarity was pretty apparent in that I just was not able to run well on
Friday and part of Saturday.  In fact, I was so frustrated that I nearly quit
when I hit 1 million points.  But I pressed on and amazingly I made more points
and Qs in the second 24 hours than the first 24.

Will be back again!