[3830] ARRLDX CW IR4M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ik4mgp@tiscali.it
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW IR4M M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:52:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: IR4M
Operator(s): I4DZ, I4FYF, IK3QAR, IK4HVR, IK4MGP, IK4MGX, IK4SXJ, IK4UNH, IK4WMH
Station: IR4M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MONTECODRUZZO (FC)
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  155    33
   80:  395    51
   40:  648    53
   20: 1019    58
   15:  844    52
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 3061   247  Total Score = 2,268,201

Club: ROMAGNA CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

After years of ARRL DX contests with the snow.... this year we had the wind.
Strong, from south, that just an hour after the start, made the 40m yagi antenna
unusable, with high SWR.
This was the only antenna on 40m so we had to concentrate on 80/160 the whole
night. Luckily enough conditions on low bands were good and we have a fairly
good rate even with W6/7.
After just 10 minutes the "runner" radio became completely deaf on all bands.
This second issue makes us down, so that we were about to leave the contest. But
we have guest friends, who run for hundred of kms to join us, and we decide to
try anyway.
At sunrise we managed to set up a new 40m antenna, and we built a 1/4 wave
vertical which allowed us to get some Q's in the early morning.
Later, Francesco IK4HVR decided to climb the 20/40m tower (even if there still
was very high wind) to get the 40m yagi fixed. In vain: the antenna still not
worked. So for the 2nd night we had to use the GP... what a pity!
Even if we constantly checked the band, 10m were almost dead to NA despite the
15m who where in a quite good shape.

The second day is a copy of the first, with not a beep on 10m from NA and
fairly good conditins on 15.

On 2nd night conditions on low bands were worst, but at least Mr. Murphy seems
to be gone.
We focused on 40m, trying to recover the time wasted the night before. Using the
"last-minute" GP the pile-up was not that good, but we continued... this is the
CW party, if it was the SSB one we had no chance to keep the frequency calling
CQ.

At the end we targeted over 3000 Q's, never reached during the last 2 years. A
good result to us, considering the low sunspots and the problems we had.

Thanks to all who worked us, allowing us to have great fun!
Unfortunately the SSB party comes too close to the CW one...