[3830] CQ160 SSB K7RL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K7RL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:07:02 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 500  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 7  Total Score = 72,747

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

In previous 160m contests my TX antenna was also my RX antenna.  This year I
installed a 540? East pointing Beverage to see if would make a difference.  The
result was worth the effort; signals unreadable on the TX antenna were Q5 on the
Beverage.  I see why many think it?s a must have on top band.

This is always a fun a contest, but at times was frustrating when a loud East
Coast station would land directly on my run frequency and start calling CQ, much
to my unheard objections.  Perhaps the band was one-way at that time, or maybe
they were listening in another direction.  Whatever the case, that seemed to
sum-up how the band was behaving.

And to the station that came on Sunday morning and said, ?shame on you? without
signing:  I did not hear the nearby CQing KH6.  Rather than immediately tossing
insults, perhaps a simple explanation of the situation would have sufficed, and
I could have moved sooner.  Believe me, I have no agenda to intentionally QRM
KH6?s, nor am I part of any vast conspiracy to do so.  I like KH6?s and enjoy
working them on 160m too.

Speaking of KH6?s, I like getting 10 points for working one in this contest.  I
also like getting 5 points for working a VE7 less than 100 miles away.  But when
I work a W1, 2, 3, or 4, which is almost the same distance as a KH6, I only get
2 points.  Does that seem strange to anyone else?

Maybe overall participation would increase with a distance related point scheme.
 For example, a W7/VE7 in W7/VE7, working a W1/VE1 in W1/VE1, would receive 10
points in addition to any state multiplier.  A W7/VE7 working another W7/VE7
might receive 2 points.  A W7/VE7 working a W0 might get 5 points.  It?s still
not the complete answer for what is a total East Coast domination of this
contest, but it certainly makes it more interesting for the rest of us.

I?m not suggesting a change to the current DX and state multipliers; or point
schedule for working DX; or moving to a Stew Perry grid square, just the awarded
W/VE points as related to call area.  That?s my two cents.

Once again, thank you to all the great operators that make this contest so much
fun.

73 de Mitch, K7RL