[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad5q@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 02:22:36 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   60    41
   80:  136    72
   40:  558    98
   20:  602   101
   15:  293    92
   10:   25    20
-------------------
Total: 1674   424  Total Score = 2,086,080

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

OK, so I did this one with training wheels (packet).

I haven?t been happy with my recent scores in either the last two CQWW?s or last
year?s ARRL, due to major strategic errors. Also, I am not up to speed using
N1MM for SO2R. As it turns out, I?ve never had a strategy for doing a serious
all-band effort at sunspot bottoms. My home QTH is noisy on the low bands, and
at the last sunspot minimum my 40M antenna was only a delta loop. I usually only
go assisted when my station equipment isn?t in shape for SO2R, and go
single-band when antennas aren?t QRV on all 6 bands. I wanted to take advantages
of the features of N1MM, which seems optimized for multi?s and packeteers. It
provides a screen full of information about who?s on what band, and maybe I
could learn how to do this right. Besides, I was impressed with K5YA?s score in
the CQWW, and it looks like he had a lot of fun.

40 was difficult this time. EU?s didn?t start to run until really late, and the
JA runs just didn?t happen. The band seemed fine. Maybe the JA?s are just more
interested in the Olympics than the rest of us, and chose not to contest. 160
and 80 were in good shape, and I feel I made the most of 15. Most mults didn?t
show up on 10 until the 2nd day. 20 Meter daytime runs were much slower than in
the CQWW last fall, but the band stayed open to EU well into the afternoon.

I think I learned what I needed to know about contesting at solar bottoms. My
expectations for some bands have been too high, and I underestimated others. I
will adjust strategy and sleep times accordingly, and will probably get my QSO
totals up. I don?t know how I will get all those mults in the log, but won?t be
doing an assisted entry again any time soon. After a contest against the same
stations in pileup after pileup, my attitude toward this category is not very
healthy. A lot of the calls on the cluster are busted, and I even had a 20
minute rush of stateside callers when somebody spotted me as JX0B. Also, there
was one prominent Top-10 unassisted op that seemed to be in most of the packet
pileups.

My thanks go out to Jay and Sharon for the use of the facilities.

Roy ? AD5Q