[3830] CQ160 SSB 4L0G Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB 4L0G Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:38:15 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: 4L0G
Operator(s): 4L0ABC; 4L4CR; 4L4CC; 4L4BBC; 4L2M;
Station: 4L0G

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Tbilisi
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1040  State/Prov = 1  Countries = 47  Total Score = 478,848

Club: NARG

Comments:

Well, we had a fun, big fun. Imagine that suddenly you ve got an opportunity to
use vertical 204m (!) high, yes two zero four meter high! This is abandoned MW
broadcasting station not functioning for couple of years and next to it you have
another broadcaster 240m high tower, as well abandoned and next to it 40
different towers in average 70-110m high. well not really next .. all these
antennas/towers are taking about 250ha, huge territory and none of them working!
Absolutely amazing scenery this area was one of the most unique place in the
world used for guess for what? .primarily to jam Voice of America, Radio Liberty
and similars.  Unique place which brought our memories back to those days of
Soviet Union. From here you could successfully jam those stations in Baltics, In
Russia, even in Cuba!
OK back to contest. Having this huge vertical was not enough and matching issue
was the main one, but after few ours if struggle we managed to have pretty good
SWR. We used FT-1000D, TS-950SDX as a back up and ACOM 2000A. Nevertheless first
night was night of frustration we only managed to do about 200 QSO far not
enough to match our ambitions to be number one but not only beat the world
record?. We knew that was maybe unrealistic not having good receiving antennas.
Next morning we started to put more wire antennas, and in next two days we have
constructed all imaginable antennas, dipole, slopper, delta, inverted V,  but as
it appears non of them could beat our vertical, which remained our main antenna
till the end. Next day was considerably better especially enjoying very good
pile up from Russia and Ukraine. Europe was very weak, nothing to say about
States, no Japan and so on. In general propagation was poor, better on the
second day. I can t say that our vertical was too noisy, was not really. Anyway
it did good job.
Thank everyone trying to contact us. As I said we really enjoy it so if we have
chance to come to the same place next year we do something better, we are pretty
sure

GL!

Gia 4L0ABC, Levan 4L4CC, Mikle 4L4CR, Shota 4L4BBC, Mamuka 4L2M;