[3830] WPX SSB NX9T SO(TS)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx9t@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NX9T SO(TS)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:42:42 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NX9T
Operator(s): NX9T
Station: NX9T

Class: SO(TS)AB HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

------------
  160:   43
   80:   22
   40:   56
   20:   73
   15:   53
   10:    4
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Lot's of fun.  Only played a few hours due to family activities (Harlem
Globetrotters, Basketball games, and honey-do's).

While I was on, all went well with the exception of one encounter with a well
known carribean contest station (fly in operate go home type) who literally came
on and stole my run frequency.  He said he had been here but had left for a "few
minutes" but had now come back and just started running on top of me!  He had
been gone AT LEAST 15 minutes because I had been running stations and didn't
hear a peep out of him until he fired up on top of me.  He was S9+10 and I
expect that I was the same to him.  He heard me...just didn't care.  Apparently
thought he was entitled to the frequency just because he had been there earlier.
 No way.  Obviously I wasn't going to spend my precious few minutes fighting
with him but it was a huge downer to get on for a short time then have this
happen.  I expect problems from the Pig Farmers on 75, hecklers, etc...but this
guy should have known better.  He just didn't care.  I can see no other
explaination.  Unless I have missed some recent revision of contesting
rules/ethics, if you leave a frequency for 10 minutes or more you have no right
to it if someone else has found the open frequency and taken up there.  This was
a deliberate and clear "I don't care" from this op.  Ohwell...I hope he does not
win anything with operating practices like this (It was a SO operation).  For
clarity, this was not a resident carribean op, it was a "fly in-operate-fly
home" type situation.

To all the ethical, well behaved contest ops, both domestic and DX, Thank you!
YOU are the ones who make contesting fun!  Keep it up.

73,
jeff nx9t