[3830] WPX SSB K7ZS SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K7ZS SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:58:03 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZS
Operator(s): K7ZS
Station: K7ZS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  109
   40:   89
   20:  923
   15:  438
   10:   27
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I took the Gentleman's approach: Search, Pounce and Run by day, Sleep by Night!
Operated half the contest (the best half, of course!)

I run a basic station here in Oregon: 1 radio, 1 tower with 2 beams and 2 wires
hanging from it.

Great participation level!  But with solar flux in the mid 70's we needed an
additional 500kc for 20 meters!

15 meters was better on Sunday here, but only to East, SA and Pacific. I did not
hear any EU. Therefore, lots of domestic 1 point contacts which is reflected in
my total score.

Easily worked the lonely and loud EU stations on 40m, but soon became
disenchanted with my 2 element shorty forty @ 100'. I longed for a REAL antenna
with gain and directivity, both absent in the little beam! No chance of breaking
a pileup, and had trouble being heard by many stations.  I think I will be
building a Moxon to replace it over the summer.

Still extremely happy with the 4 El SteppIR for it's performance, flexibility
and nimbleness.  Especially handy is the 'bi-diretional' setting.  Perfect at
our sunset when the east coast and carribean are fading and Asia is just
opening.  Can't tell you how many times in the log I have W4 / SA / JA contacts
back to back.  Then, touch a button when it's time and you shut down the 'back
door' to concentrate on the Pacific Rim.  It plays great and definitely
increased my score.

A fun way to spend a cool, wet weekend!

73 de Kevin K7ZS