[3830] BARTG K0RC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] BARTG K0RC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:21:30 -0800
                    BARTG Spring RTTY Contest

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:   71       2         16
   40:  130       4         15
   20:  177      33         13
   15:    8       6          3
   10:    0       0          0
-----------------------------------
Total:  386      45         47  Continents = 6  Total Score = 213,072

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I had prepared an Excel spreadsheet to help create my operating schedule. That
tool was quickly rendered useless because there was no propagation on 10 and 15
meters. You can download a copy of this tool at: http://tinyurl/ncmbk Only basic
spreadsheet skills are needed.

The 10 and 15 meter bands never opened up in the Upper Midwest. Twenty meter
propagation went into the tank on Saturday effecting both the BARTG and Russian
CW contests. Sunday was a little better but overall the bands were very poor.
Saturday at 1745z a fluke opening into Asia allowed me to work 9M2CNC, a total
surprise. The path shut down as quickly as it opened.

Because 10 and 15 meters never opened, the stations on 20 meters were packed
tight. I ran the entire weekend using the 250 Hz IF filters in the receiver. I
worked 17 stations on 80-40-20 but these were all NA contacts.

It appears a new generation of RTTY contesters have arrived on the scene and are
increasing the efficiency of the contest exchanges. Personally, I am learning
new software after a 5-year hiatus from amateur radio. I had some difficulty
getting the UTC time stamp working properly, but I triumphed in the end.

I look forward to future BARTG contests when propagation provides rare DX and
full 5-band activity. Overall, the BARTG contest is my favorite RTTY event.