[3830] WPX SSB N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:49:44 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:   0
   80:   0
   40:  21
   20:  17
   15:  39
   10:   8
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station N6WG now has a voice!

I just finished the ssb option for my new K2 and decided to use the WPX as a
test to see if it worked.  Didn't intend to put in any effort, just make a
few Qs and hand out some points.  Well, one thing led to another and I spent
about 9 hours overall and managed to work 85 stations and 70 prefixes.

I had a real tough time getting the rig to produce power though, as all my
antennas are matched for the cw end of the band.  I don't have the ATU option
built yet, so just hooked up to the antennas and let fly.  I need to build new
voice segment matching modules for my antenna switch box to go with the cw
seqment modules already in place.  I use tuned feeders, and they can be a bit
demanding when it comes to a decent match.

In the phone segments, the swr was so high the rig didn't like it and tried to
fold back its power.  Also, during alignment, I had peaked the internal bandpass
filters for the cw range, forgetting that ssb is higher up the band.  Tough to
get drive that way :-)  But we soldiered on, the K2 and I. I think much of the
time it was only putting out around 2w, so I'm really amazed at how many
stations copied me on the first call.

I have a new Radio Shack dual headset with electret boom mic that I managed to
get working in time for the contest.  I need to reduce the bias a bit, as the
mic is really too hot for my room acoustics.

Anyway, for a first outing on ssb, I feel it was a great success.  Once I get
the antennas matched and the K2 realigned, I'll be ready to try ssb contesting
as well as cw.

Thanks to all who dug for my puny signal in this one.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude