[3830] WPX SSB NX5M M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx5m@txcyber.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NX5M M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:57:37 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, N5DUW, AB5K, KG5U, N1LN, K5GN, W5ZL, KC5YKX, W5MN,
KK5LO, KS5V, NT5TU, W5SB, K3TD, KR5W, K5ETX, N5NMX
Station: NX5M

Class: M/M HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:  261
   80:  659
   40: 1439
   20: 1799
   15:  976
   10:  254
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Time was a bit limited to prepare for this one.  But all in all things went
pretty well.
Lost a computer the first night which took some time to replace.  Found out
about an hour later that the date/time was wrong on the replacement.  Glad I
kept myself out of an operating slot for the first 6 hours.  The computer was
not the only problem that came up.
But we all have these issues from time to time and there is no sense in talking
about what went wrong.  Time is better spent talking about what went right.

WPX weekend was one of the rare weekends that we did not have to be on the
lookout for thunderstorms.  As a matter of fact the weather was perfect.  It was
a bit cold at night which helped to keep the shack cool.  Having low
temperatures in the upper 20?s to low 30?s in Texas at the end of March is not
normal.

The operating crew had some new faces this year.  The core crew was basically
the same as it was in 2004.  First timers this year included K3TD, KS5V, AB5K,
W5ZL and K5ETX.  It was nice to get to operate one last time with great people
like K5GN and N1LN.  K5GN will be moving to Italy in the very near future only
to end up in Qatar eventually.  N1LN will be moving to North Carolina in a
couple of months.  At least I will have a place to go operate on the east coast
some day if I am every invited.  W5MN claims that this was his last
contest?..but I will still invite him to the next multi-multi regardless.  ?I am
XX years old and this is going to be my last one? he said.

We improved over 2004 on the low bands by a wide margin.  160 totals this year
were quadrupled over the 2004 numbers.  80m and 40m were doubled.  Was this
because of the low part of the cycle we were in?  Perhaps so.  Addition of a new
40m system, only completed 3 weeks ago,  did pay dividends.  20m was about what
we expected while 15 was about right where I thought it would be.  10m?..well, I
had hoped for 300 qsos there but we came up a little short.

The score was about 3 million higher than I had expected.  I never thought that
we would be as close to the 2004 score as we ended up.  Interesting??..are we
becoming better operators, building better stations, or is it just that
participation is on the increase?  Whatever the reason, it was a surprise.
Great job by the guys on the east and west coasts (NQ4I, NR6O).  We may score 17
mil in the midst of the next cycle Rick, but you will probably have 27 mil.

We appreciate all the q?s and those who hopped bands for us.