[3830] WPX SSB W4WTB SO(TS)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4wtb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W4WTB SO(TS)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:36:40 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W4WTB
Operator(s): W4WTB
Station: W4WTB

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH: Denton NC
Operating Time (hrs): 28.5

------------
  160:   23
   80:  100
   40:   91
   20:  193
   15:  188
   10:   63
------------

Club: CDXA

Comments:

Ran the entire contest with (10 watts) or less on all bands.
QSO AVG for entire contest was was 23.5 / per hour
Highest Qso total was 40.0 / per hour

There were several times where the station I called received my call sign ok but
didn't get serial number correct. But running power levels just above QRP didn't
allow any second chances to correct. My claimed score should be reduced a
little, as logs are checked.

I normally don't run under the Tribander and wires category but decided this
year to do so because of the Low power ( 10 Watts or less ). Hopefully I will
place a little higher in this category as compared to the Low Power assisted
category. My antennas are modest here with a tribander at 100 ft....2 multiband
slopers off the tower ... A 40 meter rotatable Dipole at 110 ft...A 80 meter
dipole at 80 ft ... and a inverted L for 160 at 75 ft. I had no receive antennas
during this contest because they were taken down 2 weeks ago and stored for the
summer.
The rig here is a Ten-Tec Orion..... which is un-beleivable during crowded band
conditions in a contest !!

I really didn't start my contest effort until 1:30 AM Saturday morning. 20
meters was just too crowded at the start of the contest for 10 watts or less.
The low bands were great after midight ....  I worked 21 countries on 80..... 43
countries on 40 ....and 5 on 160... with a transmit power of 10 watts or less !!
The most notable Qso I recall, was was VK6LK on 40 meters.... I worked him with
8 watts !! I also worked a handful of Europeans on 80 with 8 watts.

20 meters was good on Saturday and I worked Europe with no problems. 15 was poor
on Saturday to Europe, but open towards South America. 10 meters was ok with
your typical openings around noon and at sunset.

Sunday was a different story.... 15 meters came to life and Europe was coming
through like gang busters !! I worked several stations from Europe using only 2
watts on 15 !! 20 meters was open all day but very crowded..It was almost
impossible to work anything with very low power until about 2:30 PM (EST). At
that time I finally started to crack the pile-ups with my modest 8 watts !!
10 meters seemed to be open off and on ...all day on Sunday. The openings were
towards South America. Although I did work a ZD8 on Ascension Island on 10.
I ended up working 21 countries on 10 ..... 66 countries on 15 .... and 70
countries on 20...... for a total of 94 countries worked (on all bands) during
the entire WPX contest.

I've always heard contesting with QRP power is like pulling teeth !! I really
gained a new respect for the guys running QRP...My hats off to you !!
If you have never ran really low power ( 10 watts or less ) during a
contest...you should give it a try !! You will realize only then how important..
good antennas , great radios, operating procedures, knowing propagation, and
general radio knowledge, really are !!

When the contest ends you will know... who you are, and the skill you possess as
a operator. You'll also learn what your station is capable of under extreme
conditions..... most of all you'll know "Patience is a virtue" !!

Thanks to all who had the patience to listen for my weak signals over and
over... until we finally got it right. May God Bless

                                                      W4WTB / Todd Brady