[3830] WPX SSB WA6ST SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, stant@ix.netcom.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WA6ST SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:40:46 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WA6ST
Operator(s): WA6ST
Station: WA6ST

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Siskiyou County
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   75
   20:  187
   15:   87
   10:    5
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy was much in evidence. Antenna mast refused to rise despite repeated
efforts, until Saturday morning. The difference between 21 and 71 feet has to
have made been substantial on the higher bands, and I could *really* tell the
difference on 40. (ant is C4SXL, 2 short elements on 40.)  And the mysterious
sometimes-on, sometimes-off local QRN got up to S7 or S8 for several hours
Sunday -- all I could hear on a given band would be maybe a dozen signals, all
of whom I had worked, of course. Excuses aside, the final result was the
responsibility of the operator. This was technically pretty close to a full-time
effort, though I regularly coped with frustration by running outside to try to
spot a decent place for an 80-meter wire, an neck-stretching exercise I have
indulged in for several years now. Plenty of tall trees, the problem is that
there are so many of them (all untouchable by XYL edict) that I haven't been
able to spot anything remotely resembling a straight 120-foot run, except ones
that would have to run above the 12-kv power line, which is not highly
recommended. (And no, the QRN is pretty clearly not power-line noise.) But the
bottom line, as usual, was that it was fun.    -- Stan WA6ST