[3830] WPX SSB IO3P(IZ3EYZ) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, iz3eyz@virgilio.it
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB IO3P(IZ3EYZ) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:55:41 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: IO3P
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IV3TMV

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Udine
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:  265
   40:  565
   20: 1165
   15:  352
   10:    1
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

As I really needed an All Band entry being too much busy with SOSB and Multi-ops
that certainly put less emphasis into operating skills I decided to pick up
Flavio offer despite we both knew having a lot of hardware still on the ground
and stn automation to be finished there were few chances...

Having several duties the whole week b4 the contest prevented me to put up a
SO2R setup so I almost gave up the few ones I had...and I only hoped for hot
runs to compensate the blindness I 'd have regarding mults.

So I was at 00z....warming up with a MKV FLD purchased one week b4 which I used
for abt 40 mins in RDXC. The main aim was to see how bad this un-mod. MKV could
sound and what exactly needed to be improved. So I began playing around
settings, hidden menu and all those hated things...

What a struggle!!
Due to some unknown reasons I couldn't enjoy any hot rates (highest hour abt
130Qs) and being SO1R was a pain. Running on low bands was almost impossible or
I had to be very careful not to be close to some alligators...or I just needed
to place on the edge.
By early morning I felt really short in Qs and frustrated by that shitty
RTX...
Knowing my SO1R blindness I decided to switch on CLX (baycom on a 486 PC)
starting moving between bands and trying to have a clue of band openings.
Due to RFI CLX had to be disconnected the whole time so I could pick up spots
because of other users connected....and when they left I was blind once
again...

Once TMV money band (20mt) opened up...I suddenly moved there and started mixing
a huge VK/ZL pile-up with UAs. That helped later on while I was running towards
East and splitting pwr towards in/out CA/SA. Several juicy mults called in,
NL7KF included towards a path that I frankly couldn't understand.
On the other hand I was struggling to work EUs wherever they were...
15 barely opened (in/out here) and new troubles started...even some LP guys
required several tries to hear me....

So took the 1st break...that's the 1st contest I choose right off times.
Back on business around 14z...decided to avoid 15m CA/SA opening and some skewed
US...and kept on the crowded money band (20mt). Being opened towards both US/JA
for a while I got the highest rate but still lots of troubles to keep a freq and
even more to keep it clear....the best I could achieve during the whole weekend
had been having guys 2 khz far away...
Having a neighbour contesting on 20 added some challenge as he was splattering
for abt 20/40 khz.

Saturday evening frustration was even more....at once I thought to quit and qsy
to enjoy IV3/S5 nightlife....but I wanted to give a try at that mod. MP Ted
(S52X) lent me. It sounded pretty good...so took few hrs relaxing and skipping
those low rates EUs 2nd night hrs on 40/80. Back at 01z and band was pretty good
producing plenty of loud 6s & 7s which I only heard at IR4X till nw.

Skipped dawn time and took a couple of hrs off once agn. Back in the middle of
the morning and hey....15 were pretty good....those I could hear s-2/3 yesterday
now were s-9/9+....I could break every pile at 1st call and added a great stream
of mults....

Once band closed towards East I took a 1,5 hrs break I needed to complete my off
time. Back at 12.30z on 20mt but too slow...some EUs mults as goodies mixing
them with some US showing up. Decided to try 15mt much harder because they "HAD"
to open....wkg few mults...S58A already there but he could hear stuff I
couldn't.
Started a slow rate on 21251...running EUs and SA but NA....S&Ping with the 2nd
VFO there were plenty of loud US but they didn't call me.
Each minute I spent things seemed to improve...and rates too. US started coming
in...at first skewed but later towards direct path too which ended with a small
W6/7 opening. I could hear NR6O and some others up to 2030z on 15m but at that
time 20m was the place to be.

Around 17z decided it was the last chance for those elusive EU mults I didn't
pick up till nw...so moved to 40mt...I couldn't get the expected stream of EUs
but several Asian mults. I even found the only stealer of the whole weekend:
S58M. He was s-9+ and started cq'ing zero beat....as usual once he realized he
didn't hurt my rate or better he couldn't steal my freq he moved away.

Back on 20m at 18z and the whole "leit-motive" of the weekend kept on....West
Coast was easier and louder than Eastern guys. The Sunday evening 20m opening
was funny but even funnier was a N8 showing up after 1 hr or so I was running
there and told me to move up because in 5 mins he 'd have started his daily
NET!!!

Last hrs were slow as expected but some EU mults. After that I still had some
energy for a long chat and some beers together with IV3TMV & S52X. Then took my
car and went back home...right in time for the breakfast.

Tnx agn to Flavio IV3TMV for hosting.

WRTC 2006:I 'm still looking for some more sponsors. As ARI won't give us
neither 0.01 EUR cents drop me an e-mail if you want to help us.

73
Matt.EYZ
iz3eyz at virgilio.it