[3830] GaQP N4PN SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] GaQP N4PN SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:04:06 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: N4PN
Operator(s): N4PN
Station: N4PN

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: ROVER
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  1511   126  CW Mults = 48  Ph Mults = 32  Total Score = 251,840

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Oh my aching back....but was that fun or what?

Thought I might be in trouble when I started on Saturday afternoon in Pulaski
county and made a total of 3 (THREE) contacts. The next one (Wilcox) was better
and we kept going. Condx were strange and 40 and 20 would alternate between
pretty good and pretty bad..

Had plans for 21 counties on Saturday but Murphy struck going into Toombs
county when the SWR on all bands went out of sight. First we stopped and made
sure the antenna (Mag-mount) was still on top and it was...we stopped at a
convenience store and tried to find the problem. I decided that I would
have to have more light and a few tools. As we left Toombs county, I moved the
MFJ tuner around on the dash and the line noise came back....discovered that
the PL259 from the 15/20/40 meter antennas on top was bad....with a pair of
pliers I tore back the jacket off of coax and stuck it the back of the tuner
and wrapped a rubber band around it and grounded the shield to a ground lug
on the tuner and we were back in business..Sooo, only missed running Toombs.
Instead of 21 counties on Saturday it was 20.

Started out on Sunday in the home county - Bibb. Not many takers but had
breakfast on Saturday morning with Chuck NO5X & XYL here in Macon before he
took off and I knew he'd put out Bibb. Again, during the day condx were very
strange and several times it sounded like the bands were about gone
completely.
The DX stations were really great at times, with RK2FWA, DL3GA, PA3ARM,
DL8MLD,
CU2JT, LY3BA, OK1AOV, OK1FED, DK2OY, OK1FA, SP4JWR, HA7UG (Great on 40 & 20),
and I surely missed a few others here.

Thanks to ole friends, for that one contact in SD (K0HW) and WY (KO7X) and
VE9DX (NB), and a few others. Tks Jim, WA4PXP for NM, you was all over the
place. Also, N3DXX you always show up and thanks for DE. Dittos to VE2AWR.
I know I missed others....but thanks for all the contacts....

This is the first GAQP I think I've ever run mobile and not had at least one
policeman, deputy and somebody want to know what I was doing. Didn't stop
very much and thanks to my buddy, Jeff, who is not a ham, for driving me
around yet another year....He didn't even ask me the question he asked me
last year as we started out on Sunday morning --- "one question! "Are all ham
operators as crazy as you?"....I guess he must have figured it out by himself.

Running up the interstate (I-75) starting with Tift county on Sunday afternoon
we hit Turner, Crisp, Dooly, Houston with a little time left. So we stopped
in Byron, GA and ran Peach county for an extra one on Sunday making 24. This
made up for the lost one on Saturday and we ended up with a total of 44...
I hope Jeff is still alive....he had to get up on Monday morning and drive
to South Carolina for a meeting..

Rig: ICOM 706MKIIG (w/a spare)
Ant: Mag-mount on top of Trail-Blazer w/15/20/40 meters
     High-Sierra in Trailer-hitch for 80/10
MFJ Tuner
DJ2BW electronic keyer (w/a spare)
Dell computer w/NA for logging (again no problems)

CU from Florida next week....not sure if fixed in Franklin or mobile...yet!

73, Paul, N4PN