[3830] MiQP K8MQP M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8MQP M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:27:31 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MQP
Operator(s): K8BB, K8CC, KE8OC, KN8S, W8MJ
Station: K8MQP

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CHEB
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  122    127
   40:  268    226
   20:   70    392
   15:    1      1
   10:    2      2
--------------------
Total:  463    748  CW Mults = 83  Ph Mults = 86  Total Score = 282,906

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment:

40 CW    C-Line, PT-2500A, dipole @ 50'
40 PH    IC-756ProIII, Titan, dipole @ 50'
20       FT-1000field, AL-1200, 3L yagi @ 56'
80/15/10 FT-1000MP, AL-1200, 3L 10 yagi @ 68', 3L 15 yagi @ 62', 80 dipole #
60'

As usual, the high point of the trip was erecting K8BB's aluminum crank over
tower mounted on a reinforced boat trailer.  It's amazing how easy it is to set
up and it lifts the three 3L monobanders with ease.

Still, you have to wonder why we bother.  A total of six QSOs between 15 and 10
despite CQ'ing on the activity frequencies all afternoon.  Bash head here -->
(*)

Our first effort deploying rigs on 40 CW and SSB simultaneously.  Managed to get
the dipoles far enough apart that the receivers would live, but we forgot about
that old bugaboo: PHASE NOISE.  Both the FT-1000MP and IC-756ProIII are junk in
this regard.  The quarter-century old Drake C-Line OTOH, generated no
interference at all and the rcvr was bulletproof.  It's owner (K8CC) is quite
frankly amazed that it ran at all, having sat unpowered and unused on a shelf in
the basement for more than a decade.

Lets see; almost no activity on 10/15, but 20 SSB was very good with lots of
activity.  We were even getting answers to CQs in the 0300Z hour (that's 11 PM
local in MI)!  But 40M was the worst we've ever heard it - almost no in-state
stations could be heard except for those nearby.  We made more 40M QSOs last
year with one radio than we did this year with two.  80M was fun early as new
county multipliers flowed into the log, but eventually the band got very noisy,
and while our KW signal attracted attention, replies from low or QRP power
stations were often hard to hear.

In the end, we wound up about 200 QSOs behind last year's effort from CHEB (but
a markedly different QTH).  Still, it was great fun with a bunch of buddies from
MRRC.  This is the 8th consecutive year that W8MJ and K8CC have operated MiQP
together.  K8BB has been doing MiQP just about as long, and he's a regular at
the K8CC home station too.  QTH owner KN8S had not been on the air much in about
a decade due to work moves, and KE8OC had not been on-the-air since MiQP 2005,
so this weekend was a great opportunity for them to "crack off the rust".

Don't forget to send in your MiQP log: e-logs to logs@miqp.org and paper logs
(yecch!) to 2727 Harris Road, Ypsilanti, MI 48198.

73,

The K8MQP Crew