[3830] MiQP W0BH Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP W0BH Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:40:09 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 8:43

   80:   19      0
   40:   47     32
   20:   35    100
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  101    132  CW Mults = 43  Ph Mults = 56  Total Score = 33,066

Club:

Comments:

With a houseful of Easter weekend company (four adults and seven kids), I wasn't
sure how much time I'd have to enjoy the MiQP.  Storms east and sustained winds
of 50 mph most of the day (unusual even for Kansas) made 40m interesting early
on, but 20m finally opened up for a nice run and good rover contacts.

About that time, eleven year old Coel, visiting from VE7-land, came into the
shack and asked what was going on.  She soon had a MI counties map and county
list in front of her and was busily marking off counties and coloring in the map
to see where you all were.  Morse code was also fascinating to her, so I gave
her a quick numbers lesson and she started working at picking out numbers from
the CW QSOs as she listened in on a second set of headphones.

After putting Coel to work logging the non-QSO Party contacts into the regular
station log, she said "I want to try. I can do this."  I gave her a paper log
and we practiced saying the exchange for a bit using the Hesston College Amateur
Radio club call K0HC.  Many thanks to those of you who worked Coel for
recognizing a young, eager voice and taking the time encourage her.  She wanted
to stay and "play" on the radio instead of going visiting with her family .. we
closed the MiQP out at 11:00 pm CDT (with a walk and supper in between).

Thanks to all who helped set up the MiQP and kept it lively.  Band conditions
have to improve one of these years.   And great work rovers .. I really enjoyed
the 25 cents / QSO calculation in one of the Reflector posts.  Until next time
..

73, Bob, wobh