[3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:22:04 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   40:   72     11
   20:  306    305
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  378    316  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 61  Total Score = 274,432

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Mobile activity was defintely improved over last year.  It was a pleasure
working the mobiles as they changed counties.  Tried to move as many as possible
from CW to SSB for those operating mixed mode.  At times it was difficult to do
due to the pile ups on CW. Great job again by FQP Committee.  Although the
activity was great on CW, I thought the conditions were not the greatest at
times. I felt conditions favor the East and Northeast better then here in the
Midwest.  I am sure the pileups were enormus at times.  It usually took me a
number of times to get answered.   Wasn't sure if I was going to get the sweep
on CW.  Needed Liberty for the last county, and my only hope was KN4Y/M.  Worked
him in one of the counties on 14.043 and then he disappeared out of site.
Couldn't find him.  Kept going up and down the band working other stations
looking for him.  Found him about 45 minutes later on 14.045 giving out Liberty.
 Thanks for the sweep KN4Y/M.  Was pushing the the F1 key quite bit on 20 SSB
trying to work Florida stations.  Glad the mobile activity was up to keep me
busy. The band conditions on 20 SSB didn't seem as good as last year.  Seem to
work a bunch of KI4 call signs.  My 40 meter beam wasn't working so I put up a 2
element wire beam.  It seemed like it was working ok, didn't have a problem
getting my call answered.

Overall much better then last year.  Didn't get the sweep on Phone, but it
wasn't for a lack of trying.  Maybe next year we can get it.  That's what is
nice about contesting there is always next year.

Again a great job by the mobiles.  That is what really makes the FQP really
good.  Trying to get a balance out put between CW and SSB is always a challenge.
Of course I have to admit trying to work SSB from a mobile is difficult at best.
 It was tuff trying to stay away from the mobile window. Caught myself in there
a number of times and would move to get out of it.  Trouble is the rest of the
world ragchewers were there as well.

Overall I thought it was a great to have it back at the levels were use to
hearing.  Although my Qso total was up over last year, it was down from the 2004
year.  However, it wasn't for a lack of not trying.

Some additional information:

Uniques 317

Mobile Contacts 330

Mobiles Worked:

K4KG/M (48), N4M/M (42), K4J/M (30), K4OJ/M (26), W5WMU/M (26), K4PG/M (23),
W1NN/M (24), AD8J/M (21), KN4Y/M (20), W4OV/M (18), N1XC/M (12), KK4TA/M (10),
N4OO/M (9), K4BV/M (4), KG9JK/M (2), K2CIB/M (2), K8OSF/M (2), K1RQ/M (2),
K9ES/M (2), N4HV/M (2), K9RB/M (1), NA4IT/M (1), K9RB/M (1), N4LS/M (1), N4EZK/M
(1), W4/EI6D/M (1)