[3830] NewEngQP AK1W(K5ZD) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP AK1W(K5ZD) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 18:34:49 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: AK1W
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 9
Radios: SO2R

   80:     61        1
   40:    213       56
   20:    169      242
   15:      4        2
   10:      0        0
------------------------
Total:    447      301  Mults = 79  Total Score = 94,405

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were funny and it seemed like most of the ham radio world was outside
enjoying Spring rather than being inside on the radio!  I would tune across a
band that sounded dead except for a few loud signals.

Very frustrating on Saturday.  The 7-land QSO Party activity was intense and
made it difficult to get much of a run going.  Since the 7-land contest started
in the morning, it seemed to have captured the imagination of those on the band.
Never worked so many WY, MT, and ID stations in one weekend!

I was hoping Sunday would be better once the 7s were gone, but by then the
conditions had cratered.

Skip was very long on 40m.  Often couldn't hear any of the locals.

For some reason, I had it in my mind that DX multipliers were limited to
maximum of 20.  So I stopped chasing countries when I reached that number.
Only to find after the contest that there was no limit on DX!  Ended up with 25
countries.  Most were thanks to the ARI contest!  (A great contest - wish I had
a way to log both.)  For ARI QSOs, I would give them the serial number of the
current QSO.

Best runs were on 20m.  Lots of casual guys willing to give out a point.  I
started giving out honest signal reports just to see if that would encourage
more guys to call in.  Will have to continue that experiment next year.

My only complaint is that this contest is too long.  Would be more interesting
if it was a 12 hour dash beginning at 12z on Sunday.

Nice doing low power.  Can change bands any time and don't have to mess with
retuning the amp.