[3830] WPX CW WX3B M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX3B M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:28:47 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B, N3CA
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: md
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  258
   20:  721
   15:  296
   10:   19
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A great excuse to give Michael, N3CA some very needed CW practice!

This was a contest I was originally committed to NOT doing - expecting typical
summer conditions at the bottom of the sunspot cycle led me to believe that it
would be a lackluster event.

As the week before the contest progressed, however, I was totally hooked on 20
meter propagation.

During the contest, you might have thought we were closer to higher sunspots.
I haven't heard 15 & 20 meters this good in at least a year, perhaps much
longer.  15 supported simultaneous European and Asian openings on Saturday, and
JAs were loud both days.

20 meters went until 3:00am on Friday night.  40 meters was the best I ever
heard at my own station.

Highlights:  1.  Finding a frequency near 14.001 and running for a good amount
of time.  2.  Getting CALLED by VK6HD longpath on 40 meters before the end of
the contest.  This was after I pounced on another VK6 several minutes ago.  3.
Discovering the "ESM" mode (Enter Sends Messages) in N1MM
4.  Rag chewing with W4MYA on packet during the contest.  It's almost as much
fun as being part of the W4MYA Multi/Multi's!

Low Points:  1.  80 meters.  2.  My CW proficiency.  Had trouble copying the
numbers, using some of the new software features, and handling a CW pileup
gracefully.  Several times I pushed buttons and they didn't do what I expected
them to do.  3.  Discovering the "ESM" mode (Enter Sends Messages) in N1MM.
Both a great tool, and a horrible bummer if you push the wrong keys at the
wrong time.  This, however is part of the learning curve!

The contest was great fun, much more fun than I expected it would be.

Congratulations to the many PVRC members that participated!

73,

Jim  WX3B