[3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 03:03:24 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:   23
   80:  118
   40:  649
   20: 1454
   15:  327
   10:   24
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

If thereâ??s a blueprint for a maximum fun radio weekend at the bottom of the
sunspot cycle, this yearâ??s WPX has to be it!

My goals were set pretty high as I thought I discovered some weak points
strategy-wise when analysing last yearâ??s WPX log. The idea was to focus on 20
and 40 because, as others have correctly noted, this contest is a running fest
where you need to look for volume, mults will follow subsequently.
I started on 40 S&P. Actually, I have found I donâ??t like to start a contest
running. Somehow I need some time to find my rhythm. Had an ok 90+ first hour
but moved to 80 soon thereafter. This was not a clever decision since 80
didnâ??t produce a better rate but a lower DX percentage. So back to 40 at 0200
where things started to pick up with good runs into the US. Went to 20 at 0500
and had the best contest hour there and then with 108 Qs. 20 was amazing this
weekend with fantastic signals from all corners of the world. Tried 15 at 0730
but couldnâ??t get a run going, so went back to 20 for another 2.5 good hours
when I took my first break.
Slept until 1330 and found 15 wide open into the US. 15, however, was a
disappointment. Condx were there, I could work long haul DX S&P easily, but
runs almost never materialized. Back to 20 by 1600. Boy, that band was rocking
again and produced several 90+ hours with many big west coast sigs coming
through. I think I could have partied on 20 the whole night but had a bad
feeling of missing all those 6 pointers on 40 so went there at 2200. I simply
love the bi-directional characteristic of the 40 meter beam, itâ??s cool to
beam North America yet pick up exotic East Asia DX from the back of the beam.
Stayed on 40 for the rest of the night with short and fruitless trips to 80 and
160. Another good run into the US dominated by mid-west and west coast stations
ensued in the 0400 hour before taking my second break.
Upon returning I had my only run on 15 towards Japan. Actually I think
participation from there increased compared to last year and I was able to work
47 JAs in about an hour. Again 15 dried up quickly, though, and after a quick
trip to 10 (worked 24 Qs there, all EU except for one UA9 and one 9M6 who, most
surprisingly, was the loudest of them all) I took another unplanned 1 hour
break. Settled on 20 then where I spent the rest of the contest until I had to
QRT at 2000. Those final hours with DX calling in at a steady rate were very
relaxed except for a few attempts of hostile take over of my run frequency.
This typically happend while I was trying to copy weak ones. Most of these
incidents were resolved in a gentlemanly manner. I was very amused by one R3
station who zero beat me for about 10 minutes working zilch while I continued
my run.
Totals are very much like last year. Qs down by 1, mults up by 2, score up by
200 k.
Tnx all for a most enjoyable time. Many tnx to Wolf & family who were super
hosts once again taking care of my caffeine level and to my family who
understands I need this several times a year.