[3830] WPX CW KT8X(W8MJ) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KT8X(W8MJ) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:37:47 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT8X
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:    8
   40:  244
   20: 1552
   15:  410
   10:   37
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I was expecting this weekend's contest to be a real struggle given the fact
where we are at with the sun spot cycle.  So decided to see if I could get the
antique KPC-2 packet setup working which I was able to do.  Was able to stay
connected the entire weekend.  Figured runninig (A) would help yield more
Mults.  Just happened to check WWV report prior to start of contest and was
suprised to see 0 K index, and A index of 1. So thought maybe conditions would
be more favorable compared to last year.  Conditions the entire weekend was
exceptional as others have noted.  Twenty meters was like the "Energised Bunny"
it just kept playing.  Signals from Europe were very good, and was able to work
most of all on the first call to me.  Went to 15 meters and ran on Saturday,
and kept sweeping the 20 meters on the 2nd radio to work others inbetween.  But
spent the majority of the weekend running on 20 meters.  Not much on the 2nd
radio but it did help with the fills to keep the rate up.

I have to admitt I really enjoyed this one this year.  It was a lot of fun, and
the 3pt. contacts were way up from last year which even made it more enjoyable.
Plus this was a personnal best for me.  Not much on 40 Meters, only had wire
dipoles to use, but was pleased with the effort there.  Had put up a 2 wire
element beam on 40 for FQP facing south, and it worked very well to south.
Just a regular dipole over the house to East/West for Europe, but the 1500
watts did help to get answers pretty decently.  Only a hand full of q's on 80
meters, conditions so good on 20 just kept staying there.  A lot of antenna
work to be done before fall hopefully that will get done between everything
else.

Equipment:

1 Yeasu FT1000MP Field
1 Yeasu FT1000MP