[3830] WPX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:37:45 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   65
   40:  789
   20: 1351
   15: 1205
   10:   41
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was supposed to be a M/S with Jay, WX0B and Skip, KJ6Y. However, around 3
hours before the start, after we couldn't get Writelog to network despite hours
of effort and calls to Writelog networking experts, Jay said he was tired, and
it would be awkward to do a M/S without the networking and he would be happy to
be a tourist in PEI if I wanted to do a single op. Skip was OK with that too,
and so was I.

I was certain all the activity would be on 40m at the start, and I had my best
points hour of the contest while picking mults off 20m, but it was clear 20m
had more activity the 1st few hours. In this contest, rate = mults and mults =
score, so I probably cost myself starting on 20m.

Although one of the projects before the contest was to re-raise the 80m 4
square which was successfully done, the antenna wasn't working well. The SWR
wasn't as good as before it was raised. Skip checked it out on Monday after the
contest and found the guys in the man-bucket of the crane that raised the
verticals hooked one set of raised radials to that antenna's driven element,
along with the center of the coax. Ouch. Well, at least that is fixed for the
future. Didn't get many points on 80m though.

15m was just amazing. It opened early and stayed open, although EU was still
coming in late in the afternoon, CQs weren't as productive as on 20m as the day
wore on. 15m was just as good on Sunday, but there were fewer guys to work.

Except for one or two untimely breaks, I think I played this one pretty well. I
beat my scores from the last two years by 2.5+M.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT