[3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, p40a@iguanavilla.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:57:24 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1600
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I had some unexpected free time in May so I went back to Aruba for the WPX CW
contest.  It was also a good opportunity to paint my tower and to do some other
home projects that I didnâ??t finish in March.  My tower is in an area of Aruba
where corrosion a big problem.  Tower painting in Arubaâ??s wind is a messy
task and it is probably not the most pleasant way to get a tan, but it does
seem to help preserve the tower.   My 15m antenna was still on the ground so
for this contest I decided to operate 40m single band.  I had never tried this
category in a CW contest and I though it would be an interesting and fun
challenge.  When the contest started 40m instantly filled with European
stations and I enjoyed putting them into my log as quickly as possible.  When
the sun came up in Europe and their signals started to fade the U.S. pileups
kept me busy.  Around 0800z I started also working station in the pacific and
Japan and about an hour later I had a very exciting JA pileup.  Rates slowed
dramatically once the sun came up, so I shut down the radio and took a break.
I tried to sleep but I was too wound up from the contest so I just relaxed and
enjoyed Arubaâ??s beautiful weather.  The second night had a slower pace since
I had worked many stations already.  Near the end of the contest my amplifier
started to fail. At times I would have zero output for part of a transmissions.
This became very distracting and I eventually I just took it out of service.
After the contest it was nice to wind down with fellow contesters P43E,  WA1S/
P41S, W2GD / P40W and AE6Y / P49Y at a local restaurant.  Thanks for the
QSOâ??s.  Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A / P40A
p40a@iguanavilla.com