Re: [3830] NCCC Sprint(6-16) K4BAI LP

To: k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: [3830] NCCC Sprint(6-16) K4BAI LP
From: Haddon/N6ZFO <hounds1234@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:58:13 -0700
John, K4BAI wrote:

 > There are still a few prominent contesters starting at 0230 and
 >ending during the 0300 minute, thereby operating 31 minutes.  If
 >this is not permitted (and I haven't thought it was), the rule
 >should be clarified to show that the contest runs from 0230 to 0259.

Well, John, the RCCC-r's (see Note 1) are not going to like
your raising this point.

Here's a possible re-definition of the rule:

"NS [Summer] Ladder begins at exactly 0230 Zulu Friday.
A participant may not respond to a CQ or it's
equivalent more than 30.00 minutes later -- 0300 Zulu."

Why not just say 30 mins later? Well some scientist
in the group, like K3STX or N6ZFO, will argue that "30
mins" gives a +/- 29.99999. . . second wiggle room.
However, that might make the rubber clockers happier.

But John's point is relevant: consider the scores for
N6ZFO and K7NV: after last night's competition, Kurt's
and my total may differ by only 30 points in
6,600, or 1 part in 200.  That's an argument for precise
timing at the several second level.  It reflects the
fact that NS is a "real" sprint by the Webster's
definition of the word: ". . . a short run or a burst
of activity at top speed."

Regarding an increase beyond 30 minutes:  N3BB has
raises this point: The contest now fits into a single
TV half hour -- not important to everyone, but maybe
to some participants or their spouses. Going past 30
minutes also raises issues for East Coast sprinters.
Starting early is not good for those on the west coast.
My sense is we have it right, but keep the counter-points coming.

73 Bill n6zfo

Note 1: RCCC = Rubber Clockers' Contest Club