[3830] WPX CW PI4TUE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@qsl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW PI4TUE M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:12:39 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): PC5A, ON9CC
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Eindhoven
Operating Time (hrs): 44

------------
  160:
   80:   71
   40:  431
   20: 1210
   15:  337
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

Although most members of ESRAC (Eindhoven Student Radio Amateur Club) prefer CW
it was just Aurelio-PC5A and Frank-ON9CC who entered this contest. The station
is getting closer and closer to a plug and play station. For this contest only
the 80m dipole needed to be made longer (it was still tuned for SSB since
WPXSSB contest). See also http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/~pc5a/ESRAC_dak/ to
see the antenna's used.

Inside the shack most things were in place, apart from some rerouting of
certain coaxes. Frank arrived late in the evening and we decided I would take
the first shift, so he could go and catch some sleep.

At contest start 20m was wide open and remained for the next 48 hours...
sunspot cycle minimum...?  naaahhhhh.

After 6 hours of contest 460 Q's were in the log, not a super number but for us
little pistols it was a great score compared to WPX SSB. Frank took over and in
the next 6 hours he logged another 200 Q's. At noon I woke up and from there we
changed operators regularly. At 19:30 we passed the 1000 QSO mark. Thinks were
looking good. We aimed to beat our WPX SSB score which was 1650 Q's and 2.8M
points. Two hours later Frank went to bed and took over at 02:30 sunday morning
when serial 1350 had been sent. The next 5 hours were rather slow, only 150
additional Q's. Frank left the contest sunday morning around 08:00. From that
point (1500 Q's) I was on my own. I figured it should be possible to work 500
more Q's in the next 10 hours. Well... I came close, 1900 Q's at 18:00 (20:00
local time). Since I had to work the next day I had planned to stop at this
hour but the QSO rate started to pick up.. what do you do? At rate 50/hour I
could break that remarkable 2K limiet so I stayed to fully enjoy this
wonderfull contestand propagation. 1986 Q's in the log at 20:00Z. Hmm.. that's
very close to that 2K limit. Okay, I stay a half more hour. That was a long one
because I finally pulled the plug at 22:11Z after sending serial number 2086 to
RS3A; extracting the dupes that were 2049 Q's with a very nice total score of
4M, beating our SSB score by 1.2M. Who says you make less Q's in CW, hihi.

Station Description:
TS950
ACOM 1000
3 el. 3 band Yagi @rooftop (abt 215 feet above ground)
40m dipole @same hight
80m dipole @same hight
N1MM logging software

CUAL in IARU contest 8/9 July as HB0/PC5A

73!
Aurelio-PC5A/AA2WH