[3830] NCCC Sprint(6-23) W5JAW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jaw@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint(6-23) W5JAW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:11:09 -0700
                    Thursday NCCC Sprint Ladder (6-23)

Call: W5JAW
Operator(s): W5JAW
Station: W5JAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): .45

  160:   0      0
   80:   1      1
   40:  23     13
   20:  17     11
-------------------
Total:  41     25  Total Score = 1,025

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

As I was telling Larry, K5OT, the other day, every one of these sessions seems
to have a different feel.  Lately, I've had a tough time getting started on
20m, especially in the first 5 minutes.  Never seem to be able to crack a pile
up or get an answer to a CQ.  This time I had a very good start.  Every call
was answered and had someone lined up for the second part of the couplet.  My
metric this time was that Ken, N6RO, gave #12 on my #10 qso.  Usually at that
point he has double my nr.  Had visions of making 50 q's this time.  Not to be!
 My usual luck on 20 came back to play for the next 5 minutes, getting beat out
on every pile up and NO answers to CQ's.  My deoderant must have worn off.

Moved to 40 in disgust, though could hear lots of activity still on 20.
Probably a mistake.  Did OK on 40, but never seemed to be in good rhythm.  QRN
was terrible.  Switched to 80 a couple of times, but static was 20 over so
didn't try too hard.  Then had a phone call that took a couple of minutes to
gracefully get out of (dangle).  Probably didn't hurt that much, because when I
came back for the last few minutes, seemed like everyone was gone.  With QRN,
didn't even listen on 160.

Seems like I have to learn a different lesson on this beast every week.  A slow
learner, I guess.  Fun trying, though.

Jim, w5jaw