[3830] RAC Day VO1RAC(VO1HE) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VO1RAC(VO1HE) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 07:44:59 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VO1RAC
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: The Rock
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:    0      0       0         0
   80:    3     50       1         5
   40:    7     11       2         3
   20:   36    395       8        11
   15:    2      9       2         3
   10:    0      1       0         1
    6:    0      0       0         0
    2:    0      0       0         0
Total:   48    466      13        23  Total Score = 132,408

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Started out good. 20M was fairly good into the mainland so found a frequency and
CQed for a while. Seemed to be lots of activity. Stayed on for a few hours until
the pileups dried up and went to bed.

Got up the next morning and it was like someone turned off HF. Not a signal to
be found on the bands at 0830 UTC. Went out for a tea (Tim Horton's - how
Canadian!), came back and never heard a signal until VE3SS started calling CQ
on 20. Had a chat with him as there wasn't a lot of activity. The band started
to open up a bit but the propagation was strange. Europe and central NA was
weak but NS/NB was booming.

Worked some more on 20 and tried the other bands. 15 never really got off the
ground for me. 10 was non-existant except for Len VE9MY at VE9RAC convincing me
to give it a try. I could just barely hear him but enough to get the QSO done.
Was hoping to get a bit of an opening on 6M as it had been showing signs of
life recently but it was not to be.

Anyway, more scanning and CQing on 20M and it appeared I'd worked everyone on a
the time and the neighbourhood Canada Day party was starting so.... the rest is
history.

Once again, loads of fun. The SteppIR worked great although, being the warmest
day of the year so far, the amp was getting a little warm. No issues though. I
am sure there were stations calling me that I couldn't hear through the QRM but
that's the way it goes.

>From all the times I operated the VO1RAC call in these contests, I think this
was the highest score. Looking forward the fall and a lot of contests to come.
Thanks for the Qs and CU in the next one.

73 -- Paul VO1HE