[3830] IARU KA9FOX M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KA9FOX M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 13:27:10 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    0      0
   80:   88      0
   40:   75     55
   20:   60     65
   15:   54     70
   10:    5      3
---------------------------
Total:  282    193     49  Total Score = 93,443

Club:

Comments:

GOAL:  Point the beam at 135 degrees and work as many WRTC stations as possible,
hopefully all stations, on both modes, for one of those coveted plaques and
t-shirts.  Spend as much time in front of the radio as the XYL, kids and job
would allow, to accomplish the goal.

RESULTS:  270 Band/Mode QSOs with WRTC stations, which is an average of 5.87
QSOs per station (based on 46 stations). All 46 stations worked, both modes
(story below):

Most and least worked WRTC Stations:
    7 QSOs with:  PT5F PT5J PT5K PT5M PT5N PT5Q PT5U PT5W PW5C PW5J PW5P PW5X
    4 QSOs with:  PT5I PW5I PW5L PW5Y

7 QSOs with a WRTC station meant I worked them everywhere possible, which was
80 CW and 40/20/15 both modes.  There was no 80 SSB activity that I could find
and I had no 10 meter propagation to PY.

95% of the time was spent S&Ping for WRTC stations (with a few calls to friends
along the way) but I did find I was able to call CQ on 80 CW and have many of
the WRTC stations call me, which was neat.

I was in panic mode in the last hour of the contest, still missing PW5E and
PW5I on SSB.  PY0FF and I were both asking PW5E to QSY to SSB and thankfully
(finally) he did, at 11:24z (36 mins before end of contest), but his chosen
freq was right on top of K1AR's CQ frequency.  Thanks John for allowing us to
work him!!!  I gave John a QSO as a token of my appreciation.

Then I found PW5I on 20cw and did the same -- asked for QSY to SSB -- and he
did so right away, and I put the last band/mode station needed in the log at
11:28z (with 32 minutes to spare).  I was pretty excited about that!!! (hey,
I'm easily amused)

Another side goal was to work the boys at W1AW/4 and NU1AW/8 as much as
possible.  I worked W1AW 9 times and NU1AW 8 times.

I sent in my log to WRTC and ARRL a few minutes after the contest, then crashed
for much needed beauty sleep.  When I awoke, I had two robot responses.  One
from WRTC saying log was received.  And another from ARRL saying
"SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED ALL HIGH MIXED" isn't a valid category.  Well, gee N1MM
allowed me to choose it, so I assumed it was correct.  Whoops, guess I should
read the rules!  No packet spotting allowed for single ops, which I used a lot
to find, and spot, the WRTC stations.  So, I'll go multi-op!  Whoops, Multi-ops
have a 10 minute band-change rule.  Guess I'm a checklog.  That's OK, my goal
wasn't to win IARU, but to work the boys in PY and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

STATION DESCRIPTION:

Rig:     FT-1000MP
Amp:     AL-1200
10-40m:  F12 C4XL (2 ele) @ 95ft