[3830] IARU K5NA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K5NA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:28:34 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA, N5ZC
Station: K5NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    21      0     7
   80:    93     24    32
   40:   320    122    61
   20:   439    788    87
   15:   306    354    53
   10:   109     44    18
---------------------------
Total:  1288   1310   258  Total Score = 2,023,236

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was the multi-op that almost didn't happen. I had contacted Rich, N5ZC,
about a month ago about coming over and operating with me for the IARU. At that
time he was unable to commit to coming down to Austin From Amarillo. For those
of you who don't know Texas, that's a long way away from here.

So I put it out of my mind and was thinking about doing a less-than-serious HP
CW effort instead. I did no preparation for the contest and actually had
disconnected many of my antennas due to a coax trenching project that Susan and
I have underway.

On Thursday before the contest weekend Rich called me on the phone and said
that he had business in Austin on Monday after the contest and was the offer
still open to do a multi-op. I said sure. Then I started scrambling to get
coaxes replaced and re-routed so we could have a full complement of antennas.
Also, I had to split the SO2R setup into two separate stations, one for CW and
the other for SSB.

On Friday night after Rich arrived we were still moving stuff around and
setting up. Rich pitched in and helped and the station was ready to go by
10PM.

Rich is a pretty good CW operator and can hold his own pulling out calls in a
pileup. But I hate doing SSB in a contests so we agreed to split up the duties.
I would do all the CW action and he would be the phone guy for the weekend.

This actually worked out pretty well and brought a nice balance to our final
results. When one of us would work down a band, the other guy on the other mode
would take it and operate for a while. We both stayed in our chairs for the
entire 24 hours and stayed focused on the contest.

This is one of my most successful multi-ops in the IARU, and I used to do a lot
of them when I lived in NY.

Rich was a pleasure to operate with. We have known each other for many years.
He and I always seemed to be thinking the same thing when it came to band
changes and multiplier chasing.

Thanks to the contest organizers for sponsoring this wonderful mid-summer
contest. And thanks to all those "Killer B" (Brazil) Stations that would all
show up on a band and give us some of the best S/P rates we ever had. Those
guys are all great operators and all winners in my book.

73, Richard - K5NA