[3830] CQWW VHF KC9BQA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KC9BQA SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:39:37 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: KC9BQA
Operator(s): KC9BQA
Station: KC9BQA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EN63
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  600   173
    2:  106    39
-------------------
Total:  812   212  Total Score = 172,144

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

Wow! After having to miss Saturday of the June ARRL QSO party, I can't believe
we had just as spectacular band conditions just one month later.  Well heck,
this contest was actually better because 144 was very enhanced here in the
Upper Midwest, in addition to 6 being wide open!

I concentrated on 50 for the first 9 hours of the 'test on Saturday.  I worked
very hard to hang on to a frequency with 100W and switching between a pair of
Par Omniangles (OA-50)@70/83' and a M2 6M5X beam up 100'.  Honestly I noticed
little difference.  The band was so open that I was really better off with the
loops.

I was aware that 144 was really enhanced; I just hoped that others were also
pigging out on 6 and I wasn't missing too much there.  I was too hesitant to
QSY to 144 and lose what little territory I had staked out on 50.

By about 10:30pm on Sat., 6 was shutting down Es wise and the band got a lot
quieter.  However, the tropo on 6 was just fantastic, as well.  In 3 years on
6, I don't recall ever being able to work 400 miles with S3/S5 signals.  So I
switched between 50 and 144, and stayed up all night.  Made at least 3/4 of my
144 contacts between 0330Z and 1130Z Sunday.

Actually kept things going for a time overnight by seeing who was on 146 FM
simplex.  It was very active in the Upper Midwest.  Guys were amazed at being
heard from Central Minnesota, Eastern Iowa and even as far south as Terre
Haute, IN.  However, I did reread the rules for this contest and using 146.52
to solicit or make contacts is prohibited.  So while a good time was had by
all, I have to toss out 9 contacts and 1 unique grid.  This reduced my score a
little over 4000 points.  Too bad 146.52 is a no-no; I think if guys go over
there and stop in to say hi and explain what's going on, we may very well
develop some new contesters.  But as with 144.200, make way for others.

As the sun kept rising on Sunday, 6 was open again before 1300Z.  I kept
pounding out CQ's for many more hours.  I noticed that toward noon or so, I was
having a hard time saying the "Quebec" portion of my phonetics, like I was
either drunk or out in 20 below zero cold.  I could tell I was losing it, after
having been up 30 hours.  I had asked a few folks to QSY from time to time and
they were kind enough to.  But as I was losing it, I started hearing a rover
from 4-land who was building in strength.  I know how hard it is for rovers, so
I just sort of smiled and faded away.  I hope he was able to work 50167 for all
it was worth right up until the contest ended.  I stopped CQ'ing @1815Z,
realized I had 599 Q's on 6.  I figured that wasn't right, so I called W9IIX on
his freq. and got him easily (semi-local)  That was QSO *SIX*-hundred, and that
felt like the right time to quit.

  This contest was a ball -- but it was intense.  I still haven't had the
slightest urge to turn the rigs on since I went QRT on Sunday.  Kind of a radio
hangover I guess, hi.  August UHF contest will cure that!

  73,
  Todd KC9BQA EN63ao      50-1296 with 2304 by August (knock wood)