[3830] IOTA WZ3AR(@N3HBX) SO24SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA WZ3AR(@N3HBX) SO24SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:39:31 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: WZ3AR
Operator(s): WZ3AR
Station: N3HBX

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH: Poolesville, MD
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:                     16       3
   40:                     33       4
   20:                   1113      87
   15:                     43      12
   10:                      0       0
Total:   0        0      1205     106  Total Score = 721,542

Club:

Comments:

Big thanks to John, N3HBX, for letting me use his great new station in
Poolesville for the contest!

Mults are way down from years past, but QSOs are way up and the score is near
my personal best for this contest. I could have easily beaten my previous
record if the propagation on 15m was better. Nothing on 10m and 15m had only
weak openings to EU and nothing from the pacific. Zvi, 4X4BL said I was booming
into the Middle East on 40m, there just weren't many people there to work. Never
got any answers to my CQs calling split, but it was nice to be called by some DX
simplex on 40m. It's realy hard to find mults on 40/80m SSB. Many of the IOTA
operations don't spend much time there and it's hard to catch the ones who do
when they're there. Maybe I should learn how to do that SO2R thing...

It took 20m a long time to open to EU. I kept pointing the antennas in that
direction but wouldn't get many answers. Had to pass the time by working
mainland U.S. stations that were giving single digit serial numbers. Then
around 2100z, the Europeans started coming in great and I had an awesome run on
14.257. I must have stayed on that one frequency for 2-3 hours. That's the most
time I've ever spent on a run frequency. I had an 83 hour followed by a 127
hour and then a 114 hour. Sure helped the score out a lot!

Average serial number received: 75.7

Highlights: first time breaking 1000 QSOs in the IOTA contest, first time
breaking 1000 QSOs on a single band in any contest, first time working 5W for a
new DXCC (although I usually work 3-4 new DXCC each IOTA contest)

Radio/amps: FT-1000MP, Emtron DX-2SP (20m), Alpha 87A (all other bands)

Antennas: too many to list/remember

Thanks to RSGB for a great summertime contest!