[3830] NAQP CW KK8I(@K8CC) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KK8I(@K8CC) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:21:10 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KK8I
Operator(s): KK8I
Station: K8CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   51    25
   80:  132    43
   40:  169    46
   20:  251    51
   15:   62    25
   10:   12    11
-------------------
Total:  677   201  Total Score = 136,077

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

This one was a learning experience. It was my second NAQP participation after
January's which I did QRP on a G5RV from home. 100W, beams and August are a
different story.

I went to Dave's (K8CC) QTH on very short notice and got going a few minutes
into the contest. The rate was way below my expectations (wild dreams?) and I
took my first two 30 minute breaks during the first two hours of the contest.
Unfortunately, I ignored that 10 and 15 were not too bad at that time and I
could have racked up some more multipliers which I lateron tried o retrieve
with much more time spent on them. 10 and 15 were open via Es for much of the
contest, but few people really noticed.

Then, I waited for the fairy called "rate" to come in. I had heard so much
about her, but she only appeared for 10 minutes: Dave brought me two slices of
pizza way into the contest. While I was eating, I had the best run of the
entire contest. As soon as my left hand became available again, the flow of
stations ceased - is there a link between eating food and rate...?

Overall, I gave up too early on unanswered CQs and did not realize that
conditions actually were that poor. More band changes would have helped too. My
multiplier total is nice, but more QSOs would have been the better choice.

Worked a bit on my novice SO2R skills, but a nasty computer bug kept me from
better exploiting it, as I would have to reboot the PC whenever I was dupe
checking a callsign heard on the second radio while transmitting on the first
one.

Many thanks to Dave for making his station available on such a short notice and
for his hospitality that I enjoyed again. Thanks as well to all the people who
moved for me (particular tnx to KO7X for 4 bands and to W4OC for a six band
sweep) and apologies to the 5 nearby OH guys that I moved to 40 but never
heard...

73! Uli, KK8I