[3830] WAE CW K4EA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ea@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K4EA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:00:02 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K4EA
Operator(s): K4EA
Station: K4EA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   80:   36     2    18
   40:   94   123    32
   20:  356   396    43
   15:  140   165    33
   10:   62     0    20
-------------------------
Total:  688   686   146  Total Score = 493,920

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I had a project to finish up so I didn't start until about 1600Z Saturday.
15M and 20M were in reasonable shape and so rates were good.  When I checked
40M at about 2200Z the band was dead! I mean zero, zilch, not even locals.  I
quickly realized I had a problem when the SWR showed over 10 to 1.  I spent the
next hour troubleshooting.  With the antenna some 150M from the shack, this was
time consuming.  I finally eliminated everything in the shack and at the
antenna, which left the feedline.  A visual inspection of the 150M of CATV
hardline showed no obvious problems, but with three splice I suspected water as
the gremlin. I decided to use a tuner in the shack with the hope that heating up
the feedline would dry it out.  Needless to say, 40M was a disaster for me.
Relegated to S&P my 40M numbers were disappointing.  On Sunday afternoon, I
strung up my old wire GP and at least was able to do some CQing during the last
hour of the contest.  10M was a pleasant surprise and managed to run for about
45 minutes before the rate dropped enough to warrant going back to 15M.  80M
was very noisy (as expected this time of year) and even the big gun signals
were weak.

This contest is always a pleasure to work with so many fantastic operators.
ES5RR took my QTC at 40WPM with no repeats!  Thanks to everyone for a fun time.
 Also, congratulations to RK2FWA, ER4DX, 4O5A, UW5Q, S58A, OM2VL, LX7I, F6KAR,
DM1A, DM1TT, DL0LA, DL7ON, DL9AWI for a sweep of all bands.  UU7J was S9 on 10M
but he could not hear me, otherwise he would be in this list too.

Neal, K4EA