[3830] WAE CW VY2ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW VY2ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:51:03 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): VY2ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:  260   260    37
   40:  382   382    44
   20:  765   765    46
   15:  255   255    38
   10:   53    53    17
-------------------------
Total: 1715  1715   182  Total Score = 1,653,260

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Nice to see old friends again - the EU ops are among the very best in the
world.
That makes this a very fine summer contest each year.

I had some really interesting moments in this one......Things seemed to be
going well on Saturday morning until around 1400z I began to realize that I
couldn't hear much above what sounded like SNOW static.   It was GAWD AWFUL
(even on the lower antennnas) which made no sense at all to me. It was mild at
first then it grew really steadily to a roar - enough so that I ventured
outside for a looksee around 1515z.

When I looked outside I could see it had been raining (the deck was wet) - but
what really caught my eye was a very BLACK sky to the NW and North.  It looked
like waterspouts out on the ocean not very far offshore.

As I turned to go inside, it started a torrential downpour - with hailstones
about the size of green peas.  Just then - there was a flash of lightning and a
loud BOOM just a second or so later which sent me running down to the shack in a
hurry to disconnect everything.

I was forced to shut down from 1518z - 1604z which I could not take as an
off-time.  It was just lost operating time.  Bummer!

When I felt safe to come back on, my modest lead in the contest had all but
evaporated and it was a 26 hour horserace to the end with the NA competition.

Another time I felt I could not do much was from about 02z - 0530z on Sat
night.  It had been raining again and I could not hear much on either 40 or
80M. More hail?  Hard to tell this time as it was dark...

Nevertheless, I felt the station played well overall - nothing broke - and it
was nice to see 10M open on Sunday morning for about 17 mults total.

I called UA6LV and ER4DX on 10m for quite some time - but neither heard me.
This happens sometimes from here for me - but I did manage to work LX7I and a
number of others for a decent showing.

Hope to CU in the next one.

73 JEFF VY2ZM/K1ZM
K1ZM@aol.com