[3830] NAQP SSB K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:35:01 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     8
   80:   90    31
   40:   84    27
   20:  101    33
   15:   11     8
   10:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  299   111  Total Score = 33,189

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team:

Comments:

N1MM Logger worked great. With some timely help from
W4NZ (thanks Ted) I finally got the radio-to-soundcard
hookup correct, and managed to balance the myriad of
gain stages properly. I still don't fully understand
N1MM SO2R operation techniques, although I was able
to simply click in the appropriate window and work
stations on another band.  N1MM Logger has become a
very slick program, with a well-written manual. I need
to study the manual more. Casual operation is a great
way to learn the program.  It goes like this:

- Try to make QSOs.
- Make all kinds of mistakes
- Study the manual and find out why

 Lather, rinse, repeat (if you have hair.)

Propagation was nothing to speak of.  I only heard
K0EJ on 75M.  The only six-bander was N4ZZ. The high
bands were really lame when I was on.  Being casual,
I spent a lot of time CQing on 10 and 15, just to
see who was on the ball checking. I was amazed at
the signal strengths of the dozen stations I worked
on those bands. Propagation was there at times, but
no one was home.  I also spent a lot of time listening
to the best ops running, trying to learn something.

I don't believe that anyone using a complicated name
will ever win this contest; the constant repeats just
kill the rate (and eventually, the score.) I had fun
just using "KIRK" and operating casually while learning
the program on SSB. I found that programming my exchange
with "KIRK, K-I-R-K" lessened the repeats considerably.
But it also added 4-syllables to every QSO. If your name is
MIKE, TOM or ED, then thank your parents; this is the right
contest for you! :-)  On CW, there are far fewer casual
ops, and most active contesters will know your name after
a dozen or so NAQP and Sprint efforts. NAQP's are a blast.

73

-Kirk  K4RO